Losing a loved one because of someone else's negligence is a tragic and frustrating ordeal for any family to have to go through. At our Louisville and Jeffersonville law firm, we fight aggressively for families like yours.
In a free case review, we can determine if the elements of a wrongful death lawsuit are present in your situation. Please call the Karl Truman Law Office at (502) 222-2222 or toll-free at 812-282-8500.
The Main Elements in a Wrongful Death Case
Each client's case is unique, and we build the most effective strategy for resolving yours. That being said, there are certain elements that are found in all wrongful death claims because these elements form the basis for these types of cases. These elements include the following:
- Your loved one's death was directly caused by the incident in the case, such as an auto accident.
- The defendant's negligence caused the incident that killed your loved one, or the defendant had intent to harm.
- The loss of your loved one has resulted in financial losses for you and your family members.
- The loss of your loved one has affected you and the deceased's other dependents.
Basically, to be considered a wrongful death, your case must show that your loved one's death was a direct result of someone else's negligence, and that you have suffered financially and otherwise. For example, if a truck driver was driving beyond the hours of service regulations and fell asleep at the wheel as a result, that driver may be held responsible for carelessness if he or she causes a fatal accident.
Questions to Ask Your Wrongful Death Lawyer
When you meet us for your free consultation, we will work hard to make sure you understand all of your options. We encourage you to ask us any questions you have during this time so that you can better understand these options.
Examples of questions you may want to ask are:
- Do you think I have a legitimate wrongful death claim?
- What can I accomplish with a wrongful death lawsuit? What are the likely outcomes?
- What is compensation awarded for?
- How much compensation can I recover in this type of case?
- How long do you estimate it will take to resolve my case?
- Who in our family is eligible to file a wrongful death claim?
- How much time do I have to file a claim?
These cases can involve multiple complexities. While you and your family grieve, you need a compassionate, experienced and aggressive attorney to serve as your advocate. Our lawyers are ready to stand at your side and to fight for compensation on your behalf.
If you are searching for an experienced wrongful death lawyer in Jeffersonville, Louisville or near the surrounding areas, please contact the Karl Truman Law Office online or call (502) 222-2222 or 812-282-8500 (toll-free) to schedule a free consultation.