As the weather warms up, riding a bicycle is a common occurrence for many people in the Louisville area. It is a great way to have fun, stay healthy and get around. However, it's important to remember that a bicycle is not a toy—it's a vehicle.
Follow these tips to stay safe on your bike rides, and ultimately help avoid bicycle accidents in the future:
- Wear a properly fitted helmet: Helmets can help prevent catastrophic brain injuries and save lives. Be sure your helmet fits and is worn properly.
- Check your equipment: Before riding your bike, be sure to inspect your tires and make sure your brakes are in good working condition.
- See and be seen: No matter what time of day it is, you need to be seen by other road users. Wearing neon, fluorescent or other bright colors has been proven to make cyclists more visible to other drivers. Having something reflective can also help you be seen. However, it is important for you to watch out for other drivers as well.
- Stay in control: Always ride with at least one hand on the handlebars. Staying in control of your bicycle can help prevent crashes, accidents and injuries.
- Watch for road hazards: Be on the lookout for hazards such as potholes, broken glass, loose gravel, puddles, leaves and dogs. All of these hazards can cause a crash. If you are riding with friends, be sure to point out any hazards you see.
However, even despite taking the proper precautions, bicycle accidents still can and do happen. If you or a loved one was injured in a bicycle accident due to someone else's negligence, know that you have rights, and that an experienced personal injury attorney can help.
The team at the Karl Truman Law Office can help fight for the justice and compensation you deserve.
If you're in the Louisville area and would like to learn more about how our personal injury attorneys can help you, give our office a call at 812-282-8500 to schedule your initial consultation.